Again within the day, the legendary Steve Reeves was identified, amongst different issues, for his impeccable grooming. Hair, tooth, pores and skin, fingernails – Reeves was Mr. Perfection. I’ve all the time thought the identical about Lee Labrada. I bear in mind having dinner with him as soon as at a restaurant and, when he was completed consuming, Lee instantly went and brushed his tooth.
However much more spectacular, he was one of many few bodybuilders I’ve labored with who stored getting higher and higher proper as much as the time he retired. If Lee had come alongside a couple of years earlier, when the Mr. Olympia was held utilizing two lessons – over and beneath 200 kilos – he would have gained the light-weight class, like Franco Columbu earlier than him.
Lee had a nice physique, however a small body – 5’6’ at about 185 kilos. Sufficiently small that, standing subsequent to someone like Lee Haney, he was simply giving freely an excessive amount of dimension. However that didn’t stop him from putting within the high 4 in 7 consecutive Mr. Olympia contests. And it didn’t stop Labrada from displaying up in nice form each time and persevering with to enhance his physique.
Earlier on, I all the time thought that his head appeared disproportionately massive for his traps and shoulders. Not by rather a lot, however noticeable. However 12 months by 12 months Lee stored growing his traps and delts and when he determined to retire from competitors and focus on his complement enterprise, he had just about introduced every part into splendid proportion.
Lee has subsequently introduced the identical form of intelligence and self-discipline to enterprise that he did to aggressive bodybuilding. Labrada Vitamin has been an amazing success and Lee has remained a big pressure on this planet of health and bodybuilding. On the similar time, he has been and stays a loyal household man. One demonstration of that’s the bodybuilding success of his son Hunter, who has rocketed up in virtually no time to earn a spot on the Mr. Olympia stage. Hunter has a a lot greater body than his father, a very good factor on this age of muscle monsters. However he additionally appears to have inherited his dad’s self-discipline and work ethic, as a result of irrespective of your genetics, you don’t obtain this sort of speedy success with out a substantial amount of exhausting, constant effort.
So, the “Labrada Impact” is being handed on from era to era. And, each of those bodybuilders, father, and son, ought to be position fashions for youthful bodybuilders hoping to attain the identical form of success: self-discipline, exhausting and constant work, a “clear” way of life, and a focus to element.
When you find yourself aspiring to greatness, EVERYTHING COUNTS!
Lee’s Bodybuilding Contest Historical past:
- 1995 Arnold Traditional: 4th Runner-Up
- 1993 Mr. Olympia: third Runner-Up
- 1993 Arnold Schwarzenegger Traditional: 1st Runner-Up
- 1993 Ironman Invitational: 1st Runner-Up
- 1992 Professional World Cup:1st
- 1992 Mr. Olympia: 2nd Runner-Up
- 1991 Mr. Olympia: third Runner-Up
- 1990 Mr. Olympia: 1st Runner-Up
- 1989 Finnish Grand Prix: 1st
- 1989 Netherlands Grand Prix: 1st
- 1989 British Grand Prix: 1st
- 1989 Mr. Olympia: 1st Runner-Up
- 1988 Spanish Grand Prix: 1st
- 1988 British Grand Prix: 1st
- 1988 Greek Grand Prix: 1st
- 1988 Mr. Olympia: third Runner-Up
- 1988 Mr. Olympia: third Runner-Up
- 1987 Mr. Olympia: 2nd Runner-Up
- 1987 IFBB Skilled World Championships: 1st Runner-up
- 1986 IFBB Evening of Champions: 1st
- 1985 IFBB Mr. Universe: 1st
- 1985 NPC Nationals: 1st
- 1984 NPC USA Bodybuilding Championships: 1st Runner-up
- 1983 NPC Texas Bodybuilding Championships: 1st
- 1982 NPC Jr. Gulf Coast Championships: 1st
- 1982 NPC Collegiate Texas Championships: 1st