Inexperienced leafy greens are brimming with good well being and taste, and are additionally a traditional ingredient in lots of conventional dishes, reminiscent of this straightforward, plant-based (vegan), gluten-free pasta dish for Penne with White Beans and Greens. Since a lot of the different elements—bean pasta, sun-dried tomatoes, white beans, onion, garlic, and herbs—will be saved readily available, it is a very simple, go-to weeknight meal.
You may whip up this rustic, one-dish meal in below half-hour with solely 9 elements (not counting pantry staples). Simply choose up some greens (or higher but develop them in your backyard) on the farmers market or grocery store so as to add to the stand-by elements, and also you’re good to go. That’s why this budget-friendly meal ought to change into certainly one of your favourite traditional meals on these busy nights—you’ll get in your every day greens allotment sooner than you may order takeout! It’s additionally scrumptious warmed up the subsequent day for lunch on the workplace, and even eaten chilly as a pasta salad.
It’s actually essential to suit inexperienced leafy veggies—wealthy in minerals, nutritional vitamins, phytochemicals, fiber, and protein—into your every day plant-based eating regimen. Try my weblog on tips on how to Get Your Inexperienced Leafies for extra info on the well being advantages and culinary purposes for inexperienced leafy greens. Paired with a protein-rich pulse (white beans, bean pasta), this Penne with White Beans and Greens is a match made in heaven. All it’s a must to do is serve it with some crusty complete grain bread, and also you’ll really feel glad and content material with this scrumptious, nutritious meal.
This simple, below 30-minute, one-dish meal is full of the vitamin energy of beans, greens, and olives; it’s utterly plant-based (vegan), gluten-free, and price range pleasant too.
- 4 cups water
- 8 ounces raw bean penne pasta* (i.e., chickpea, lentil or bean)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ medium (4 ounce) onion, diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano (or 1 tablespoon contemporary)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, drained, complete
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans** (i.e., cannelloni), rinsed, drained
- 1 8-ounce bunch contemporary greens (i.e., rainbow Swiss chard, mustard greens, spinach, collard greens) sliced coarsely
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Pinch of kosher salt, non-compulsory
- Fill a medium pot with the water, cowl, and convey to a boil over excessive warmth. Lower the warmth to medium, add the pasta, and cook dinner for 7 minutes (or based on package deal instructions), till al dente. Drain the pasta and return to the pot, lined, to maintain heat.
- Whereas the pasta is cooking, warmth the olive oil in a big skillet or saute pan over medium warmth. Add the onions, garlic, oregano, and black pepper and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add the olives, tomatoes, and beans and saute for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the greens, lemon juice, and cooked pasta, stirring gently. Cook dinner for about 4 minutes, simply till greens are wilted but nonetheless vivid inexperienced. Season with salt, if desired.
- Serve instantly.
- Makes 6 servings (1 1/2 cups per serving)
*Many varieties of bean or pulse pastas can be found, or you could substitute with complete grain (accommodates gluten) or one other selection or form, reminiscent of fettuccine, rotini, or farfalle.
**You might substitute the beans with one other form, reminiscent of chickpea, kidney, or an heirloom selection. You additionally could substitute beans cooked from scratch (1 ¾ cup cooked beans per 15-oz can of beans).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook dinner Time: 11 minutes
- Class: Entree
- Delicacies: American
- Serving Dimension: 1 serving
- Energy: 266
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 325 mg
- Fats: 6 g
- Saturated Fats: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 43 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 16 g
Key phrases: pasta, penne, white beans, italian
For different plant-based inexperienced leafy vegetable dishes, take a look at:
This submit could include affiliate hyperlinks. For extra info, click on right here.