Get pleasure from summer season cherries in cream and yogurt!
Years in the past, I noticed this easy Blueberry Idiot recipe from Nigel Slater’s Ripe featured on Meals 52 – I used to be within the kitchen minutes later making it. It was passed by the subsequent day so in fact, I wanted to make it once more, this time with cherries – my absolute favourite summer season fruit and some of my variations.
A “idiot” is a conventional English dessert that sometimes mixes cooked fruit in some kind of cream or custard.
And, sure, my recipe requires heavy cream (although I did decrease the quantity from the unique recipe whereas upping the quantity of Greek yogurt) however generally you do must splurge and on this case, a bit little bit of beautiful, full-on fats cream goes a great distance.
It’s a easy dessert that can also be elegant on the similar time (particularly in the event you get fancy and serve it in wine glasses!) You need to use nearly any summer season fruit you’d like.
In the event you like this recipe, Serena has one other twist on this cherry idiot in our upcoming Simple On a regular basis Mediterranean Cookbook popping out in October 2020 however you may pre-order NOW. She additionally created a delish Lemon Idiot that’s featured in our 30-Minute Mediterranean Weight loss plan Cookbook (each hyperlinks are Amazon affiliate hyperlinks.)
- 2 cups candy cherries, pitted and chopped (about 4 dozen)
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- 1/8 tsp floor ginger
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup heavy cream, whipped
- handful contemporary mint leaves for garnish, optionally available
- In a small pot over medium-low warmth, add cherries, honey, water, lemon juice, ginger and almond extract.
- Stir and warmth for about 10 minutes.
- Take away from warmth and smash with a potato masher. Cool.
- Mix cherries with yogurt.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Chill in fridge for about an hour. Serve with contemporary mint leaves, if desired.