With rising considerations about environmentally-harmful supplies and toxins in artificial yoga mats, eco-conscious yogis are searching for an alternate. However we’re not prepared to sacrifice traction, cushion, consolation, or affordability only for the sake of
Fortunately, cork yoga mats verify all of the packing containers and shield the surroundings within the course of. For over 5,000 years, cork has been used for every part from boats to footwear to flooring to wine stoppers. Due to its naturally anti microbial and anti slip properties, this historical renewable useful resource is completely suited to yoga mats. Cork yoga mats are even odor-resistant and develop into extra “grippy” as you sweat, making them excellent for warm yoga.
Nevertheless, not all cork mats are created equal. Some are outrageously overpriced, whereas others are made with low high quality supplies. We determined to assessment the highest 7 cork yoga mats to search out the very best cork mat for earthy yogis.
- 1 Fast Picks
- 2 What’s a Cork Yoga Mat?
- 3 The place Does Cork Come From?
- 4 High 7 Cork Yoga Mats
- 4.1 Luxurious Cork Yoga Mat – Non Slip, Gentle, Sweat Resistant. Thicker, Longer, and Wider for Extra Consolation…
- 4.2 GURUS Sweat Proof Sturdy Cork Yoga Mat 4.5mm Thick Non Slip Train Mat for Residence Exercise
- 4.3 MASDERY Cork Yoga Mat Non Slip Naturel Rubber 72″x 24″ Physique Line Excessive Elasticity 4mm Thick Yoga Mat…
- 4.4 CorkTec Non Poisonous Non Slip Thick Cork Yoga Mat with Eco-Pleasant Natural/Vegan Cork, Pilates Mat,…
- 4.5 X-Giant Lengthy Pure Rubber Cork Yoga Mat Man Tall Lady 79″ X 27″ Cork Further-Giant Yoga Mats…
- 4.6 Yoloha Aura Cork Yoga Mat | Non Slip, Sustainable, Gentle, Sturdy, Light-weight, Premium, Handmade…
- 4.7 Gaiam Cork Yoga Mat | Pure, sustainable cork print design stops odors | Non-toxic TPE Rubber…
- 5 FAQs
- 6 Key Takeaways: The Finest Cork Yoga Mats are Pure,
- Finest Total: Luxurious Cork Yoga Mat from Physique By Yoga
- Finest Moveable Mat: Gurus Sweat Proof Sturdy Cork Yoga Mat
- Most Stunning Cork Yoga Mat: Masdery Cork Yoga Mat
- Most Eco-Pleasant: CorkTec Non Poisonous Non Slip Thick Cork Yoga Mat
- Finest Further Giant Cork Yoga Mat: Semper Sanus Giant Cork Yoga Mat Pure Rubber
- Finest Cushion: Yoloha Aura Cork Yoga Mat
- Funds Choice: Gaiam Cork Yoga Mat
What’s a Cork Yoga Mat?
Cork yoga mats are an eco pleasant mat possibility made with the bark of the cork oak tree. As an eco pleasant various to artificial rubber mats, a cork yoga mat presents yoga practitioners a spread of advantages.
Execs of Cork Yoga Mats
- Superior grip: The largest benefit of a cork yoga mat over a daily mat is that it will get grippier because it will get moist. The cork incorporates a naturally occurring compound referred to as suberin that acts like a barely sticky glue between the cork floor and your pores and skin. In scorching yoga lessons, because of this cork mats develop into much less slippery as you sweat. Your palms and toes can grip your entire mat with out worrying concerning the poisonous phthalates or PVC present in artificial mats.
- Naturally antimicrobial: Research have discovered that cork has some fairly spectacular antibacterial properties. It could cut back harmful bacterial ranges and resist mildew or mildew so that you don’t have to fret about cleansing it as usually as different mats.
- No odor absorption: You recognize that nasty scent from a sweaty mat that you just forgot about at the back of your automobile for a couple of days? A cork mat doesn’t soak up odors, so that you by no means have to fret about stinking up the studio. In reality, cork is of course water resistant, so it’s not going to soak up sweat both.
- Most sustainable yoga mat: A cork yoga mat is likely one of the most eco pleasant yoga mats that cash should purchase. It even rivals different sustainable supplies like jute, pure rubber, and cotton due to its climate-conscious manufacturing. Cork might be harvested repeatedly from bushes with out slicing them down. In Portugal, cork oak bushes offset hundreds of thousands of tons of carbon yearly simply by rising. Cork can be 100% biodegradable, recyclable, and free of poisons. Nevertheless, as a result of it’s uncommon to discover a 100% cork mat, you additionally want to pay attention to the sustainability of the bottom materials used to make cork yoga mats.
- Non-toxic: From polyvinyl chloride to heavy metals to phthalates and past, there’s a stunning quantity of carcinogenic chemical compounds utilized in producing typical yoga mats. A cork yoga mat allows you to breathe straightforward with out worrying about any poisonous chemical compounds off-gassing whilst you move.
- It simply feels good: In the end, none of the advantages of cork yoga mats matter in the event that they aren’t fulfilling to apply with. The perfect factor about these mats is that they really feel so good beneath your palms. They’re smooth, cushiony, and grippy in your palms. The cork materials feels pure and “right down to earth” whereas concurrently supporting your steadiness and joints.
Cons of Cork Yoga Mats
- Might crack when folded: Cork remains to be a pure materials, due to this fact it isn’t all the time as pliable and versatile as foam or rubber mats. The largest criticism yogis have about cork mats is their tendency to crack or develop strains if you happen to frequently fold them. Each model performs otherwise, however it might require a bit extra extra care to stop a cork yoga mat from cracking.
- Not as grippy when dry: Cork does are inclined to dry out and be much less “sticky” with out sweat or moisture. A moist fabric or a bit little bit of water in your palms can work wonders in slower Hatha or Vinyasa lessons the place you desire a good grip with out dripping sweat.
- Costlier: Like many pure supplies, cork is dearer than typical mats made out of low-cost rubber or foam. It may be tough to search out funds choices. Most cork yoga mats vary from $40-$100+.
- Heavy: Whereas cork is of course light-weight, cork yoga mats are usually a bit heavier than normal mats because of the density of the fabric beneath the cork layer. Thicker mats can weigh as much as 8 kilos whereas thinner mats can weigh in nearer to 4 kilos for simpler use as journey mats.
The place Does Cork Come From?
Cork is a light-weight but remarkably sturdy materials harvested from the outer bark of cork oak bushes. This medium-sized evergreen oak tree is native to the Mediterranean and northwest Africa. Its bark is likely one of the most sustainable supplies on the planet and has been used for hundreds of years for a variety of purposes. As an alternative of slicing down an entire tree for wooden, cork bushes might be harvested each 8 to 14 years and develop again between harvests.
Within the yoga world, cork is mostly present in cork yoga mats, cork blocks, and even cork yoga studio flooring. Due to its naturally rot-resistant and antimicrobial properties, cork yoga props might be manufactured with out the usage of dangerous chemical compounds. Cork can be fully biodegradable, recyclable, and renewable.
High 7 Cork Yoga Mats
The perfect yoga mats are supportive, grippy, non-slip, and good for our well being in addition to the surroundings. Whereas cork looks like a universally excellent materials for the job, not all cork yoga mats are created equal! They must be made of top of the range sustainably harvested cork that’s correctly manufactured to keep away from cracking or harm throughout use.
Remember that it’s also uncommon to discover a 100% cork mat. The perfect cork yoga mats have sturdy and pure backing supplies to maintain the mat in place it doesn’t matter what. Listed below are our favorites:
Luxurious Cork Yoga Mat – Non Slip, Gentle, Sweat Resistant. Thicker, Longer, and Wider for Extra Consolation…
This mat is the thickest cork yoga mat we discovered, however at 80″ x 26″ it additionally wins factors for being an ideal further extensive and lengthy possibility. Physique By Yoga created this extremely luxurious 6.5mm thick mat for dense cushiony help. It’s the greatest cork yoga mat for anybody with joint issues or for doing ground workout routines on hardwood.
Specifically crafted by yoga academics, this mat is made with the very best high quality Portugese cork. It’s loopy sturdy and engineered with six occasions extra cork than a regular cork yoga mat. We love that it has an additional “give” on your joints and backbone, but nonetheless feels agency sufficient for full help throughout balancing poses.
The one draw back we discovered about this cork yoga mat is it’s heavy. However you get a bonus mini arm exercise in whereas carrying it round!
Finest Moveable Mat:
GURUS Sweat Proof Sturdy Cork Yoga Mat 4.5mm Thick Non Slip Train Mat for Residence Exercise
One of the crucial sturdy and light-weight cork yoga mats available on the market, the Gurus model mat is moveable, chemical-free, and latex-free. The cork composition and manufacturing of this mat was impressed by the founder’s upbringing in Kerala, India. It weighs in at simply 2 kilos and contains an adjustable shoulder strap for final portability.
This mat is 75″ x 25″ and has unimaginable grip. In scorching yoga lessons, it positive aspects much more traction for slip-free motion. We additionally love that this model vegetation a tree for each mat bought.The one draw back is that the decrease portion of the mat is made out of artificial TPE, which can off-gas chemical compounds when heated.
Most Stunning Cork Yoga Mat:
MASDERY Cork Yoga Mat Non Slip Naturel Rubber 72″x 24″ Physique Line Excessive Elasticity 4mm Thick Yoga Mat…
This is likely one of the most stunning cork yoga mats we’ve discovered. It additionally has among the highest high quality cork. It weighs about 5 kilos, is 4mm thick, and 72″ x 24″ in dimension. The pure cork and pure eco rubber pulp each come straight from nature and make this mat non-slip, odor-less, and 100% renewable. Additionally it is 6P free (phthalate free) and recyclable.
The Masdery cork yoga mat comes with a beautiful line-drawn lion or chook geometric artwork with alignment strains for excellent poses.
CorkTec Non Poisonous Non Slip Thick Cork Yoga Mat with Eco-Pleasant Natural/Vegan Cork, Pilates Mat,…
In the event you’re searching for essentially the most non-toxic and environmentally pleasant cork yoga mat doable, the CorkTec checks all of the packing containers. It’s biodegradable, 100% pure, renewable, and freed from chemical compounds.
This mat is fabricated from a pure cork higher and pure rubber decrease. The cork comes from Forestry Stewardship Council (FSC) licensed cork grower in Portugal and Spain. The pure rubber is a renewable useful resource from rubber bushes.
This mat is 72″ x 24″ and 4mm thick. It weighs about 5 kilos, rolls up actually properly, and lays completely flat the second you un-roll it. We had been impressed by the good grip, non-cracking, and top quality. The one draw back is the pure rubber scent which will hassle individuals who aren’t used to it.
That is the very best cork yoga mat for anybody with allergy symptoms or chemical sensitivities, for for yogis who want a yoga mat that’s further tall and extensive. Anybody involved about hormone-disrupting chemical compounds referred to as phthalates can be glad to know that this cork yoga mat is licensed 6P Free. This implies it’s also fully freed from plasticizers and petroleum-byproducts. It’s chemical-free, recyclable, biodegradable, and vegan.
It has an ecological cork higher floor and pure pure rubber decrease. The rubber backing is of course anti-skid, whereas the eco cork higher supplies actually good grip. It’s about 5mm thick and obtainable in two sizes: 72″ x 26″ and 79″ x 27″.
Each supplies work collectively to create an easy-to-clean and steady floor for any kind of yoga. We love the Semper Sanus for its ultra-sustainability and further sturdy supplies.
Yoloha Aura Cork Yoga Mat | Non Slip, Sustainable, Gentle, Sturdy, Light-weight, Premium, Handmade…
With over 6mm (0.24″) thickness, the Yoloha Aura is likely one of the most joint-supportive cork mats available on the market. It has a totally pure cork higher with an an extremely cushioned closed cell foam backside. Although the froth is artificial, the model ensures that there are completely zero PVCs, latex, plasticizers, or chemical rubber smells.
This mat stays dry and non-slip even within the sweatiest circumstances. It doesn’t soak up moisture or odors, so that you don’t have to scrub it almost as usually as a daily mat. It seems like a dense steady pillow towards your knees, wrists, or again, but it’s nonetheless tremendous straightforward to steadiness on for standing poses. The mat stays laying flat with out bunching up throughout flows.
Gaiam Cork Yoga Mat | Pure, sustainable cork print design stops odors | Non-toxic TPE Rubber…
At beneath $40, it’s tough to discover a higher funds possibility than Gaiam’s cork yoga mat. Although this mat has an artificial TPE rubber backing, we love the patterned pure cork higher. It has glorious traction and softens in humidity.
The Gaiam cork yoga mat is fairly dang sustainable, however we don’t know the way chemical-free it’s. The cork higher comes from sustainably managed cork bushes, however the TPE rubber backside may have hidden chemical compounds. Nonetheless, it’s reasonably priced and slip-free with reasonable cushioned and odor-resistance.
Are cork yoga mats slippery?
In contrast to PVC and artificial rubber mats, cork yoga mats are made out of essentially the most anti-slip supplies available on the market. They really get much less slippery and extra grippy beneath moist and humid settings (which after all makes them excellent for warm yoga periods).
Are cork yoga mats good?
In the event you’re searching for yoga mat that feels steady, supportive, cushiony, and grippy with none poisonous chemical compounds or environmentally-harmful manufacturing processes, cork yoga mats had been made for you! Many scorching yoga instructors swear by cork yoga mats for his or her superior grip, naturally anti-slip really feel, and sustainable eco-friendly manufacturing course of.
Key Takeaways: The Finest Cork Yoga Mats are Pure,
In the event you’re wanting so as to add extra traction, help, and earth-friendliness to your yoga apply, an natural cork yoga mat may very well be a sport changer. The efficiency, clean floor, and eco pleasant supplies give typical mats a run for his or her cash. Plus, you don’t have to fret about any harsh chemical compounds.
Primarily based on our assessment, you’ll be able to’t go improper with any of those mats. Cork is an unimaginable materials that nearly looks like a miracle for yoga: it’s non-slip, grippy (and will get even grippier if you sweat on it), tremendous sturdy, eco-friendly, non-toxic, and feels very nice in your palms and toes.
Whereas any cork mat can ship these advantages, the Physique By Yoga mat is by far the very best cork yoga mat we’ve discovered due to its further padding, density, high quality, and sturdiness.